Friday 15 July 2016

Harlaw Revisited

Looking towards 'the narrows'.
I arrived yesterday afternoon and took myself up-to the water for a walk around and to check out the permit situation. Fish were showing well but talking to anglers it was a mixed bag, some doing well others not. Permits can be purchased direct from the bailiff, £20 quid for a full days fishing, 4 fish can be taken this is a superb day out.
Harlaw
Harlaw sits at the base of the Pentlands and is regularly stocked with trout, normally rainbow and blues. For your money you can also fish part of the next reservoir, Threipmuir, which is wild brownies, take your choice or do both. Although Threipmuir is exposed and on a day like this would not be a great deal of fun.
Apart from the bailiff I was the first angler at 8.30 next day, it was windy, cold and rain threatened but the occasional fish could be seen. The weather remained mixed like that all day.
My normal starting point
I put my usual starting cast of Kate mcLaren and Bibio on dropper. They have never failed me here, famous last words. I started at the point and covered the bank without any success albeit fish were moving but not taking my offerings. About 10 minutes in hard rain fell for a while and that pushed the fish down for most of the morning. I moved round the bend on its westerly side and the wind eased. Bang rod lurched fish on, what a fight this gave, a cracking rainbow about 3lb went back after I retrieved the Kate. Shortly after another hit on Kate but as the fish leapt out of the water the rod moved in the opposite direction and down the tip went. I had two fish on and they went deep. Too strong for my 4lb line so I got broke.

I re-tackled with the same flies and had two more on Kate. Then a hit on the Bibio and another break, this does not usually happen. I moved up to 6lb leader
and had two more on Kate, both taking from below.
To create a bit more interest I went onto dries but after an hour and several fly changes not one bit of interest so time for lunch and back to wets. The bailiff came past and was surprised as he had only one success.
After lunch there was hardly a sight of a fish but I did tag two more near the 'narrows', one on each fly.
Angler wading but don't go far in
I had to call it a day soon after but the fishery just does not let it go. Near the finish I tried again and had another huge hit again almost pulling out the rod from my grip. It took about 5 minutes to land and was easily 5lb. Despite the fight as soon as removed the fly it flicked its tail and took off like a grand prix car.
Typical rainbow
The bailiff said at the end that they do put some very big fish in a couple of times a year. It is well stocked and is a reasonable sized water so you should have plenty of space. The scenery is great and on the whole the people are friendly.
Threipmuir hoolie

Hopefully I will be back next month and get some evening fishing which can be spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment